Teilen von Erfahrungen mit Speichelstein in der Unterkieferdrüse

Hi Stefanie,

I am going through the exact situation you’ve had with salivary stones. I’m currently on prednisone which I was hesitant about but finally had to start it because of the swelling and pain. My ENT wants to keep me on the prednisone and plan for surgery in July to remove the gland completely which I am extremely anxious about and I’m not sure if this is the best approach.. After reading your story I can relate and I’m at ease that you were able to have resolution. I’m going to attempt your approach but wasn’t sure how often you did your massage and do I use lemon drops all day long, how often do I apply warm compress (which I have been but stopped every since I got on Prednisone because the pain and swelling reduced significantly)? I would greatly appreciate your feedback. Thank you. 

Had my right salivia gland removed on May 11th and feel great ,had been suffering with stones in the duck and gland about ten years and the Dr said I had ten years of junk in the gland and I have not experience any difference in salivia and I can eat much better .

You need a CT scan with dye contrast. The CT scan (pronounced “cat scan”) will tell whether you have a stone in the gland, whether it is localized (has not spread), and how large it is. You can then have surgery to remove the submandibular gland AND stone(s). Please see an Ear, Nose and Throat (ENT) specialist!

He needs a CT scan of his salivary glands with a dye contrast (pronounced “cat scan”). The dye will determine if the stone(s) are localized and have not spread to other areas. He needs to see an Ear, Nose and Throat specialist (ENT), and the ENT can remove the stone(s) and the gland.

Get a CT scan with dye contrast (pronounced “cat scan”) and have the Ear, Nose and Throat specialist (ENT) remove the gland and stone(s) through surgery.

I’m having a similiar experience and had the exact same test done, which all my came back normal. My doctor told me I had a reactive lymph node in under my chin that reacts from my salivary glands swelling and not functioning properly. when my ducts get blocked I get this white slim that comes out of my ghb land under my tongue. My salivary gland swell after I eat something. I massage and apply a warm compress. Once the duct becomes unblocked the saliva along with the white slim squirts out and it’s a relief. I’ve been dealing with this for 2 years and recently had to change my blood pressure medicine because it was a diuretic which was dehyrating me and contributing to my ducts becoming blocked. This has been very frustrating. and experiencing fear of your throat closing. I pray for a solution!

Please give an update after you have the gland removed.

WOW where did it pop out and how big was it? I had a 10mm stone in my left submandibular gland and the ENT said it would never be able to pass through… so I had my gland removed along with the stone obviously.

I had experienced the same swelling problems for years and as the stone grew it kept getting worse! I thought it had something to do with my far back tooth the whole time. One day I was eating a brat and took one bite with banana peppers on it and BOOM my left side of my face was so backed up with saliva that my eye was even swollen shut a little. I don’t think they would have ever found this stone without the other health issue I was having… tonsil stones! I went to and explained the new problems I was having with my tonsils to the ENT and he just didn’t feel like it was all matching up. He thought I was having too many different symptoms and he did a CT scan and when I came back in for consultation I was told the following.

1- I had tonsil stones/tonsillitis which would flare up on and off but wasn’t URGENT
2- I had a tumor/growth on my left tonsil
3- I had a 10mm stone in my submandibular gland
4- Everything had to come out

I was scared and did a TON of research. I couldn’t find much about the submandibular gland removal. I only found like 1 story online from a blogger who had the surgery done! I made it through the surgeries and recovery but WOW that was a long journey.

I saved all my photos so I can look back at my CT scan, my tonsils before and after surgery etc. but I doubt that I will forget all of that anytime soon!

Glad you are okay hopefully NO MORE STONES for you!

Hi there, I have very similar thing with my left gland under my ear and a weird sensation in my throat (since last September) which I feel I have to move my neck to get relief, I did go to the ENT in January who did a nose scope and who assured me there was nothing wrong, but i still have these symptoms. This is very interesting, did you have any sensations in your throat with this, what were your symptoms. Its OK to be told there is nothing wrong, but what is it then. Thank you.

Hello Stephanie, My 10 year old son has a salivary gland stone in the submandibular gland. It started in May , during the first lock down. At first we thought it was mumps, but that was ruled out. His pain and swelling was almost with every meal then. However, he now only has mild pain and not very often at all. The presence of a stone was confirmed by ultrasound scan. The consultant radiologist attempted to remove the stone using a wire basket under local anaesthetic, but he couldn’t get the stone out. The Consultant is going to try the same procedure again next week. In the meantime, I have been getting him to suck sour lemon sweets, but the stone isn’t coming out. Please let me know what sweets you used , how many times a day and any other tips for removing the stone naturally. I would be so grateful to hear from you.

Thx Stef. Hello all, I also hope my salivary stone (submandibular sialolith) story may help someone too.

My stone is 11mm, too big to squeeze out, but its cut out as of yesterday, Im recovering well.

It is a scary thing to happen to you, but you are not alone and it can be quick to resolve. In short and sweet summary - do your due diligence, but act fast.

Not everyones situation is the same, this is my 2 weeks of hell.

Couple of years ago I got very very sick after a week long celebration at the beach bar, I thought it was just cumulative effect of so much alcohol. A huge lump swells up under one side of my jaw and its incredibly painful in the mouth area, hard to swallow anything, impossible to eat solids. Bedridden.

My GP suspects stone, prescribes antibiotics and refers me to specialist surgeon. Scans and surgeon confirm its a 10mm (at that time) submandibular stone. He says wait for the antibiotics to settle the infection then get the whole gland removed. It does settle after pus massaged/worked its way out (unpleasant yet relieving), I dont however get the gland out right away (glad in hindsight). I spoke to a second surgeon and researched about removing just the stone to retain my gland. General consensus was too big a stone, too much chance of damaging gland/reoccurrence etc. Came across all sorts of suggestions such as breaking the stone with ultrasound, herbals, iodine etc, also some articles about stone excision such as Surgical management of an unusually large sialolith of the Wharton’s duct: A case report - ScienceDirect
and various excision articles on researchgate.net but my thoughts were dismissed by the 3 doctors I talked to…

Several years go by without incident and I all but forget about the stone. But its still there and the inevitable blocking and infection comes back last week… with a vengeance. I had felt it start before and gone straight to the GP for antibiotics but still was bedridden the next days, had a little repreive as I stayed in bed, stopped eating and survived on the occasional sip of smoothie/water. But the infection gets the better of me and I end up admitted to emergency, on a drip and in incredible pain. One of the ENT docs said something about trying to intraoral excise the stone if it settled but by this point I was begging them to take the whole gland out, with the original 3 docs warnings ringing in my sore ears. They would not remove the gland while so inflamed however, instead tried to aspirate (suck out the pus) first with an ultrasound guided syringe and local anasthetic.. which went wrong. Haemorageing, ridiculous pain, pus, horror.

Into the 3rd day on IV, body shutting down drugged up on endone etc I was massaging and working my tongue around when an epussphany (I now know a fistula) erupts in my mouth filling it with pus and stale blood. But pressure/pain relieves too. I improve out of sight within seconds I can walk and talk!!! The ENT doc happens to hear about it and she gets me in her chair for a looksee. Tells me fistula broke through and shes going to help it by making it bigger… just a little numbing spray and nick with the scalpel. Upon doing so she says ‘I think I can see it, lets try get it out’ bit more numbing spray (no needles) long pair of pliers and hey presto im ecstatically holding my 11mm stone and instantly feel even better again.

Literally singing&skipping out the door I am amazed at how simple and easy that was in the end, and the massive difference it made in but a moment. ‘Just wish I did it soon as I felt it coming on 2 weeks ago’.

A day later and in retrospect, I recommend soonest possible intraoral (inside your mouth) removal of stones over extraoral entire gland removal because:

  1. It was a really simple process, just numbing spray instead of serious surgery
  2. Ive still got my gland and if it heals great, if not I can still get it out if need be
  3. In the mean time my recovery is instantly better than after serious surgery
  4. No scar on my neck, and I can already feel some saliva function returning!
  5. None of the serious surgery risks/costs, facial nerve risk, anesthetics etc.

I am on cephalexin 500mg and sticking to smoothies for a few days to minimise irritation, also using a zero alcohol mouthwash and brushing twice daily. Im virtually pain free (apart from where the aspiration went wrong). So far so good. Good luck to you too.

Sumup - if it can be cut and pulled out through your mouth without duct damage, do it asap.

Hi Kari, hope your well. Ive just posted my stone story, did you get just the submandibular stone or your whole gland removed? best wishes. Mat

Hello, I wanted to share my experience with salivary gland stones. The youngest i remember having pain while eating was when i was 6-7yo. I’ve had these painful experiences throughout my life, some mild, others have feltl like someone was taking a knife and stabbing in the neck. I would be unable to talk, swallow, eat or drink. I never knew what it was or why it was happening. I believe mine is related to lack of water intake and seasonal allergies when it gets dry out. I went and saw an ENT DR a few years ago and mentioned my issue, he didn’t seem to know what I was explaining (which i thought was strange). He told me to come back when I’m actually having the problem so he can evaluate. I did some research and discovered stones. Made complete sense. I’ve had them on both sides but my left side seems to give me more attacks. The location is under my jaw line and tongue. Very painful when trying to drink or eat anything. I have found sucking on lemons, pushing and massaging the gland seems to resolve the problem quickly, especially when I do these things immediately. I assume my stones are small in size since it goes away as the day goes on. I’ve never gotten an infection. The other symptom I get is my saliva becomes very thick, mucus like. I haven’t read this anywhere, so I’m curious if anyone else gets this?

The other thing I’ve noticed is when I had done a cleanse I have an attack. I also take products that remove heavy metals and had an attack the following morning. So I’m curious to know if maybe my body is trying to flush out these stones?

Where we live there is a natural water duct of alkaline water which we drink daily, unsure if drinking this type of water which has more natural minerals in it may cause more stones? I’ve wondered if I need to watch my calcium intake as well?

Also curious if a history of these types of stones means I will be more prone to kidney stones, gallbladder stone, etc.?

hello. I am experiencing exactly what you’ve just wrote about. I’ve had this for about six months on and off . at first, it was just hurting when I was eating, the swelling, went up and down . but in the last month and a half to 2, underneath my chin is just swollen permanently, underneath my tongue to puss is coming out many tomes per day. I manage to pull out few little stones few times a day. It’s fairly painful, very annoying, prevents me from eating often, gives me a lot of anxiety. I do hope I can finalise this and finally live again without any continuous pain.