Weil's Osteotomy of 2nd Metatarsal

Hi,  tc65156 - 

My first thought is have you received a second opinion recommending osteotomies of 3 toes?  Sounds very drastic to me.  My next thought is can you wait until after retirement so that you can take the time you’ll need post-surgery to optimize recovery?  My surgery was performed a few months before I turned 61.  I was in excellent health and good physical condition, having been very active before my foot pain restricted my activities.  I did everything my doctor recommended following surgery, which was only possible because I was retired.  He told me to minimize activity to keep swelling down.  So I did.  I spent 6 weeks mostly in bed with my foot elevated and an ice machine running.  I had a knee scooter to get around the house but spent the majority of time in bed.  My foot was uncomfortable otherwise.  Every appointment I was told that I was doing as well as anyone could be at that particular point.  I am convinced it’s because I had the luxury of recuperating.  I can’t imagine how I would have done if I’d had to go back to work after a couple of weeks.  I had no choice but to have the surgery - I had to have a walking boot on to get around because the pain had become unbearable.  Sounds like you’re not quite to that point but are headed towards it.  I’ll be honest.  This surgery is absolutely no fun.  And the physical therapy you need following is even less so.  I have the same bad anatomy on my other foot and am doing everything I can to avoid having to go through it again.  But a year later I’m pain-free and not hindered by my foot from doing anything I want to do.  The time to recover and to complete physical therapy is absolutely essential to a good outcome.  Can you put surgery off until after retirement?

Hi phoebekins thank you so much for responding, I was also thinking having 3 done feels a bit drastic, especially after reading how you were before your surgery. I'm nowhere near that bad and am still fit and active despite the pain. Reading about all the support you had with your recovery (ice machine, knee scooter) I'm guessing you're not in the UK! None of that, or even post-op therapy, has been mentioned to me so I've decided to get a second opinion and at least delay surgery until next autumn. Thanks again, it's so good to know people like you are out there!

You are correct - I live in Texas.  I had to purchase the ice machine and the knee scooter - but both are indispensable in my opinion.  My doctor told me that people with ice machines recover faster because it helps keep swelling down.  And my friend who also had foot surgery but spent a lot of time on crutches tore something in her shoulder with them and then had to have shoulder surgery!  My insurance paid for most of physical therapy, but not all.  My doctor said that physical therapy is crucial to a good outcome, and he made me sign an agreement promising to go when he told me I was ready and to complete the necessary course.  He refuses to do this surgery on anyone who won't sign.  Yes, do get another opinion and delay the surgery until you have the time to recuperate properly.  I want your outcome to be as great as mine!  All the best to you.  

Hi tc65156,

I had the 2nd MTP osteotomy done on October 4th.  I also had a nerve decompression in the 2nd innermetatarsal space.  I asked for them to cut out the nerve in my 3rd metatarsal space at the same time, but they felt that it would compromise blood flow to my 3rd toe if they did that, stating that there was enough disruption to blood flow with the work being done on the 2nd MTP and the nerve decompression in the 2nd innerspace.  

All in all, I am happy with the surgery.  I spent one month in a boot, fully weight bearing from day one.  I spent one week on the couch with my foot up and then I was back to work, as I had just started a new job and didn't have the vacation time saved up.  I will say that that I noticed a huge difference during that first month when I would go days without propping my foot up above heart level to keep swelling down.  My foot definitely let me know when it was in need of elevation.  My doc only prescribed massaging the incision area to keep the scar tissue from causing contracture, bending my toes down with my hand to keep them stretched, and doing the towel and marble grabs with my toes.  He never prescribed PT for me.  It's been 3 months, and I have worn a low heel occasionally out to dinner and for New Year's.  I feel a little numbness in the area, from the nerve decompression, but no pain.  There is some stiffness of the 2nd toe when I try to bend it up.  

The best part is that my doc said I could get back to cycling once the boot came off (one month after surgery). I have slowly started back and have had no issues.  It's wonderful to exercise again.  

I iced my foot with bags of ice occasionally, but no regimented plan for that.  

Good luck and keep us posted on you decision and progress!

Hi Christina61139,

How is your mom doing?  I tried to log in and respond earlier, but had password issues.  My swelling persisted for about two months, as did weird nerve pain sensations.  

Thanks for that Texcat, it sounds like you've made a great recovery. Since reading yours and phoebekins' posts I've taken the decision to delay my surgery for a few months. The main problem I have is the sharp pebble sensation when walking and a variable degree of throbbing along toe 2. All of this is bearable for the time being & I decided I'm not ready to incapacitate myself just as I head into retirement. I'm now working with my creative osteopath to manage things, then I'll go back to my consultant after the summer and reassess (unless something drastic happens earlier than that). It's been so helpful reading what you've had to say, thank you both so much. I'll let you know what happens, meanwhile best wishes to all.

I am new here too.I had a Weils osteomy of 2,3 and 4th metatasals, pinning of those toes and a radical amupation of the 5th metarsal joint. having had a little toe amputation due to calcionosis,they took the toe bone out but left me with the joint and a bobble of a toe which was not pretty to look at so glad its gone and my foot looks much tidier.I had the surgery on December6th 2017 so am 6 weeks post surgery.I also managed to complicate things by getting pneumonia following surgery.My foot was "deformed" in the surgeons words from having far too long metatarsals in relation to my big toe and my 2,3 and 4th toe s had curled permanently.I had the big lump under my foot on the head of the 3rd metatarsal and was down to using crutches to walk it was just so painful even with orthotic innersoles with a gel dome.Today just short of 6 weeks I had the toe pins out.I am in a full fibreglass cast up to the knee for another 3 weeks then a boot.I have been using a knee scooter to get around.I am coping but looking forward to getting the cast off.I imagine my foot will be pretty sore to walk on  to start with and I will be using the knee scooter for some time yet.I am told my foot will be a size smaller than my other foot.I would definitely not want to go through it all again with the other foot though I probably have the same problem with less symptoms  in the other foot too.

But I am glad to have had the surgery done nonetheless.I feel positive having read everyones experience of recovery.It gives me hope for the next 6 months or so.and I will be purchasing some epsom salts definitely.

 

I had a plantar plate repair with weil osteomy on the second toe. I was out of work for 11 and a half weeks post op. It seemed to be healing well, by week 9 hardly any swelling. I am a food server in a large casino and o went back to work this week. They are not accomodating. I do 8 to 11 miles a day in an 8 hour shift, no i can't asked to work shorter shifts. Since i started back i am in excruciating pain. Today i could barely get a shoe on and it is a size larger. There is no sitting except on my break which is usaually the second hour. I don't go back to the doctor for 4 weeks. I have not been in thos much pain since the second week after surgery. All i can do is shuffle. I go to bed so early now and sleep 12 hours to ease the pain. This has only been one week, today is my friday. So i have 2 days off. I don't know if i can do this and i have used all my fmla. We only get 4 day sick a year then suspenion and fired. I already have 3 days used from before the surgery, i have 1 left till april. I want to cry, i even went to bathroom and throw up from the pain once this week. I wish i could go back in time and not have the surgery. I was in pain daily but, not this level of pain. My foot is like a puffer fish every night, i soak it in Epsom salt. I have been kind of walking on the side of my foot when i can't bare it. The second day they had me in the farthest station that is when i was sick. please i need some advice or someone who works on there feet all day to tell me it will get better. This has been hell. If you are a server or do more then 10 miles pn your feet a day, think long and hard about doing surgery. I wpuld give anything for moderate pain, it feels like my foot is fratured.

I am so, so sorry to hear about your experience.  Have you contacted your doctor for an appointment to make sure nothing has been re-injured?  I’m concerned that you are having so much pain and swelling.   Although I’m not sure I would have been able to be on my feet that much at 11 1/2 weeks post-op.  Is there any way of being on a knee scooter some of your work day?  

She is doing better, but still struggles with the tingling and had to buy a larger tennis shoe due to swelling! Thanks for asking! 

 

We contacted the doctor and he did not seem concerned. Thank you for your reply, it was helpful!

Hello! 4 months ago I had a bunionectomy, Weil’s Osteotomy on the second toe, and tendon release on my 4th toe to correct it curling toward the floor. A real trifecta! While im able to walk several miles at a time, im pretty bummed about the way my foot feels. between pretty tight scar tissue and stiff joints, im really down about thinking this is the way it will feel forever. Been in therapy 3x a week.

Wondering if anyone else has had these three procedures at the same time?

Hi, how are you doing now? Thinking of getting plantar plate tear repair.