Flunarizin und Migräne

Hi all,

I have had chronic migraine for 4 years. I have been taking Flunarizine for the last 5 months and amazingly I haven't had a migraine for the past 2 weeks!

However....the side effects are really getting me down. I feel depressed, apathetic, jittery, agitated, like I want to vomit and my insides just want to get out of me.

I also have a very stiff jaw which is difficult to open and close and then the pain from the jaw moved up the side of my face and head to next to the spot which I call my migraine spot because that's where I always have my migraines. So I have basically swapped migraines for needle pain in the head which comes from a stiff jaw.

Has anyone else had experience like this?

I have reduced the Flunarizine dose from 10mg daily to 5mg daily to see if this helps with side effects and hope that the migraines don't come back.

Has anyone else reduced or stopped Flunarizine?

If so, have the migraines got worse again? Or have the side effects got better?

And how long after reducing/stopping Flunarizine was it before the side effects got better or the migraines got worse?

Thanks!

Hi Alice,

Yes, I take Flunarizine and thankfully not had those symptoms.  I was told to take 5mg at night for first month, I think, before going up to 10mg, maybe the 10mg was too much too soon for your body?

Glad migraines stopped anyway!

Good luck and best wishes, take care and hope things settle soon.

Let us know how you get on

Hallo Alice, ich habe Flunarizin vor drei Monaten in diesem Jahr eingenommen, aber es hat bei mir eine schlimme Depression ausgelöst und zu Gewichtszunahme geführt, sodass ich es langsam absetzen und ganz damit aufhören musste. Ich kenne aber auch Menschen, denen es geholfen hat. Vielleicht solltest du deinem Neurologen mitteilen, wie du dich fühlst und hören, was er dazu sagt, denn es wäre schade, es abzusetzen, da du dadurch Erleichterung bei deiner Migräne verspürst. Viel Glück.

Hi, thanks for your reply. How long have you been taking Flunarizine for? And has it helped with the migraines?

I have reduced the dose to 5mg for a week now and symptoms are still the same. In fact the insomnia and not feeling able to eat symptoms are getting worse!

Hi Jeanette,

Thanks for your reply. I also have the weight gain but at the same time I have lost my appetite and have to force myself to eat. I have also been finding it very difficult to sleep.

I asked the Neurology nurse if it was possible to reduce the dosage and have been down to 5mg per night for a week now but it hasn't helped at all yet with the side effects.

How long were you taking Flunarizine for? Did you have to build it down gradually when you came off it?

I have been taking Flunarizine for about 2 years, I have gained weight, but controling it with lots of exercise and watching what I eat.  Its not easy, but the Flunarizine has helped to keep the Hemiplegic Migraines under control, so that has to be good

Hallo Alice, Ich habe es schrittweise reduziert: 10 mg - 7,5 mg - 5 mg - dann 2,5 mg an alternierenden Tagen. Ich hatte keine Entzugssymptome. Flunarizin hat meine Migränen nicht reduziert, die Gewichtszunahme und die Depression waren nicht schön und ich hatte eine permanente frontale Kopfschmerzen, also hat mich mein Neurologe davon abgesetzt und mir Botox gegeben. Es gab eine Dame in der Klinik, die ich besuchte, die wirklich von Flunarizin profitiert hat, also lass dich von meiner Erfahrung nicht abschrecken, denn es funktioniert für einige Menschen und ein paar Pfunde zuzunehmen ist ein kleiner Preis für das Zurückgewinnen deines Lebens. Ich hoffe, deine Nebenwirkungen legen sich. PS: Das Botox hat bei mir auch nicht gewirkt, also zurück an die Zeichentafel!

Hi Jeanette,

Thanks. How long a period did you have to taper the Flunarizine down for? You said alternate days - would you mind letting me know what you mean by this? Thanks.

Hallo Alice, ich habe eine Woche mit 7,5 mg, dann eine Woche mit 5 mg, dann eine Woche mit 2,5 mg und dann eine Woche mit 2,5 mg an alternierenden Tagen eingenommen. Keine Nebenwirkungen beim Absetzen des Medikaments, aber auch kein Gewichtsverlust!

Hi Jeanette,

Thanks. How long did it take for the depression side effect to go away? Did you find that the depression eased as you reduced the dose?

The side effects are really getting me down now. I'm not able to sleep any more too which makes everything so much harder.

Hi Alice, wenn ich ehrlich bin, ist die Depression nicht verschwunden, aber ich denke, das hat mehr mit der Tatsache zu tun, dass meine Migräne schlimmer ist als je zuvor, und ich nie einen klaren Tag ohne Schmerzen und Erbrechen und das Gefühl habe, ins Bett gehen zu müssen. Wenn ich nur eine Pause von diesem schrecklichen Zustand bekommen könnte, wäre ich nicht depressiv und könnte tatsächlich eine anständige Lebensqualität haben. Wenn das Flunarizin deine Migräne reduziert, würde ich damit weitermachen und sehen, ob sich die Nebenwirkungen legen. Ich würde alles geben für 2 Wochen ohne Migräne! Lass mich wissen, wie es dir geht.

hey Jeanette, late to ask this question but did the weight come off for you?
thanks
kelli