I feel like I'm going crazy - and the doctor's are telling me the same

Sorry for the long post!

This all started a few years ago when, at about 14, I started getting extremely dizzy when I stood up. I was told it was probably an iron deficiency, but my iron levels were completely normal. They sent me for another blood test, and I spoke to a different doctor about the results. He said my B12 was low, and the plan was for me to get a course of B12 injections, but I had to discuss that with the doctor who had ordered the blood test before it could be put in place. When I spoke to the original doctor, she refused to go ahead with what the other doctor tried to put in place, said there was absolutely nothing wrong with my B12, and no further action was taken.

Not long after, I developed a tremor. It wasn’t noticeable at first, and I brushed it off as being tired or stressed, but it has progressively gotten worse. People now regularly point it out, and I’m starting to struggle with certain tasks; for example, my handwriting has gotten significantly worse because my hands never stop shaking and twitching. Yesterday, I had to ask a family member to get something that I should have no trouble picking up out of the cupboard for me because I simply could not do it.

My limbs and my face also started to go numb a lot more often. Again, I brushed this off as regular pins & needles, even when I wouldn’t be able to feel my legs almost all day. In early 2024, I got this same tingling/numbness in my left arm - it never went away. It most noticeably affects my pinky, ring fingers, as well as the tip of my middle finger, and spreads down that side of my forearm. The aforementioned twitching has been affecting my pinky and ring finger noticeably more than the rest of my hand since, and I’ve given up hope of getting feeling back in that part of my arm.

Over the past year, I feel like I’ve been mentally regressing. It feels like everything requires more effort, and just thinking feels harder. My speech has also deteriorated enough for people to mention it; It feels like I’m forgetting how to speak properly. People are asking me to repeat things several times, and I recently had a friend ask (as gently as they could) if I had a speech impediment.

I also feel like I’ve been… physically regressing? I’m not sure if that’s the right way to phrase it, but my coordination is getting genuinely awful. I’m walking into the wall every time I go through my hallway. I’m losing my balance and flailing to stay upright when standing still. I keep stumbling, bumping into things, and dropping things. I’ve never been a clumsy person, but now I feel like I’ve never met anyone clumsier than myself.

My eyes keep going blurry, like when you can’t get a camera to focus. I keep getting this weird, squeezing feeling in my chest that lasts for days, like someone has wrapped a band around my lungs. These have no obvious causes.

The only thing that’s ever shown on a blood test is slightly low vitamin D, and slightly raised infection markers - which are always back to normal when they do a follow-up. Now, I’m starting to be treated like I’m faking it.

Last time I went was the first time the chest-tightness thing happened. The doctor told me it was psychological, and asked if I was an anxious person, which (despite what this post might make you think) I never have been. I was then informed that sometime last year, a diagnosis of anxiety, which was supposedly made in 2017 when I was 11, had been added to my file. He then mentioned my other symptoms and said that he was sure they were all caused by anxiety, and that I should look into therapy.

Which would be fine, except I have genuinely never been diagnosed with anxiety. I do not know where this diagnosis came from. In 2017, I was seen by CAMHS, so I requested my complete records just to see if it had come from them, despite my reason for seeing them being unrelated to anxiety concerns. Instead of finding a diagnosis, I found they instead stated several times that I did not present with anxiety/an anxiety disorder.

I also contacted my GP and requested information regarding where this diagnosis came from, as I have no records, nor recollection, of it being made. They were also unable to locate those records.

Since finding this out, I’ve given up. I doubted I’d ever get help before this, as my mother and grandmother have struggled with similar situations for years, but now it feels genuinely impossible, because they will always defer to that anxiety diagnosis that no one seems to be able to tell me anything about - and therefore, tell me I need to figure it out on my own. But if it is psychological, surely there’s still something they could do? This is something that is affecting me every single day, progressively getting worse. I can’t feel, and can barely use my left arm, and the other trembles nonstop. I’ve had to rework my entire life around these symptoms, including having to give up on pursuing a career in medicine.

I’m well-versed in anxiety techniques, but a lot of them focus on mindfulness, deep breathing, distraction, etc. Basically, just taking your mind off of whatever is triggering those feelings. But not thinking about my symptoms doesn’t make them go away, just like thinking about them doesn’t make them worse.

It’s just… annoying. I don’t know what to do. I’ve been living without answers, or any real help, for years, so that’s nothing new. But it’d be nice to be taken seriously, and maybe not be treated like I’m attention-seeking by medical professionals.

1 Like

I suggest short time supplements of B12 to see if you’d get better. For long term, you’ll need to convince your doctor. If B12 didn’t help, try short term supplements of D3 and K2. Again, for long term, you’ll need to convince your doctor.

1 Like

I took B12 supplements for a while last year, but not much seemed to improve. Same with D3+K2, but that was via an oral spray. Do you think it’s worth trying again, maybe for longer?

It depends on how much and how long you took those supplements for. Another harmless suggestion is to take a multivitamin, just to cover any deficiency.

A multivitamin once a day, I mean.

Yes, vitamins can help, but frankly, you need more than that. Firstly, make a complaint to your surgery that you are not being listened to, believed, cared for, or considered in what is happening to you in your life. You want a proper discussion with your GP and get to the bottom of what is happening to you and why. You want full access to your notes, as you believe they are incorrect, and as these things are happening to YOU, they have to pay attention and address the situation WITH you. Do not be put off! You have my full support.

2 Likes

Thank you so much. This has been going on for years, and this is maybe the first time people seem to genuinely believe what I’m saying.

Well, maybe the second time… I had an appointment with an optician today, as I wondered if the issues I mentioned before with my eyes were just related to regular sight deterioration. He quickly picked up on my tremor and initially laughed it off as me being nervous. But after I explained my eye symptoms, and the eye exam was complete, he immediately asked if the tremor was constant. He then, without prompting, went on to list some symptoms and asked me to let him know if any sounded familiar. The list included numbness in the limbs, issues with balance, air hunger, brain fog… Almost everything I’ve been struggling with all these years.

Apparently, the issues I’ve been having with my eyes are textbook Thyroid Eye Disease. He also said that I needed to tell either the hospital ophthalmologist or GP to refer to neurology for an MRI, because if it’s not thyroid-related, the eye symptoms/exam were consistent with signs of optic neuritis which, when combined with the rest of my symptoms, raise a lot of red flags for MS. He repeated that I should tell them, rather than ask because he sees a lot of cases of suspected TED (and potential MS), and said he finds that most of them are young women who have already tried getting help from their GP and been dismissed.

He made a referral to ophthalmology, which he marked as urgent, asking them to rule out any thyroid-related causes via blood tests and a “retro-bulbar investigation”. He included details about my other symptoms in the letter, how long they’d been persisting, etc., to support his suspicions (and to support that the symptoms aren’t psychological and help me get that MRI if needed). He sent a copy to my GP, and also gave me a physical copy to hand in at the GP reception.

He also asked if the GP had ever tested my thyroid function in my blood tests. I knew there were thyroid tests ordered on my most recent blood test, but as the GP hadn’t mentioned anything during my follow-up, I assumed nothing was wrong. Since he put it in my mind, though, I checked on my GP app when I got home and found the actual test results. My TSH and T4 were both flagged as abnormal, and have notes attached stating the abnormalities needed to be urgently discussed with a doctor (high TSH, slightly low T4). I then ended up looking back at the other blood results on my record - My TSH and T4 have been flagged as ‘abnormal’ for almost 3 years, and my GP has never addressed it.

It might not sound like huge progress, and I still don’t know for certain what it is that’s causing my problems, but for the first time in a while, I have hope that, eventually, I will know. The optician seemed to really care and has opened up a pathway to progress (and more importantly, help) that genuinely seems promising.

1 Like

At last someone has helped you. When I went to an optician years ago he said I had had a stroke…and then investigations began. I hope you now get the help you need and a proper diagnosis. I also hope that it is properly treated and you become well again. Take good care of yourself

1 Like

Take B12 supplements, sorted me out! Change your doctor too. You are in charge of your body not them, you have paid your NI, Dr’s are not gods! Tell them what you want to happen. Honestly believe so many people are suffering because they are low in B12. It has many side effects if you are low, from ulcers to memory loss… good luck

1 Like
  1. Are you seeing a Neurologist? Sounds like something more than a Metabolic issue is going on. 2) Did they check to see if you have Orthostatic Hypotension? That’s when you stand up your blood pressure drops making you lightheaded or dizzy.
  2. Have you had a Thyroid function test done?

I’m so glad the optician took notice. You say it’s “not much”, but when my thyroid started to play up, I realised what a huge impact it can have on physical wellbeing - and that was after a congenital aneurysm had caused a brain haemorrhage stroke. Your other medics unintentionally dropped the ball, but it could have been catastrophic. I really hope that your issues start to be addressed now.