At 85 my GP will not prescribe any sleeping tablet, I have tried everything that is sold for insomnia for all of this year & nothing can get me to sleep so far.
I am really becoming desperate, I can sometimes nod off around 5 o’clock or 6 o’clock for a couple of hours,sometimes not at all.
I can’t get outin the fresh air , which I’m sure would help as I’m disabled & live alone, I don’t nod off in the daytime, I feel almost jet lagged all of the time.
I read a huge amount, watch a bit of tv .
Rosemary
I’m afraid there’s nothing that can be safely recommended, without knowing what medications you’re taking, & of course I’m no GP expert either. Insomniac myself for nearly 4 years (I’m 71), been there, done that with all the over-the-counter products!
Firstly has your Vitamin D level been checked. I was into the insomnia by a couple of years before I noticed my energy levels plummeting, lethargic & physically tired, in short “knackered” in the daytime, but none of that helped me sleep at all.
GP did bloodwork, specifically testing my VITAMIN D level. It was so low, nearly off the charts. Put immediately on 50,000 IU weekly for 6 weeks. My daytime energy level improved rapidly - it WASN’T the insomnia causing it after all.
So perhaps start there & get that checked. When I finished my doses of prescribed high dose Vit D, GP advised I take Vitamin D3 (specifically D3), I buy the high dose one from Holland & Barret, buying D3 1000 IU (25mg) dose (I’ve quoted from the label), I take TWO a day during summer, & THREE a day in winter.
As we age we make less Melatonin which regulates sleep. So I ordered 10mg melatonin tabs from the internet**…………..DO NOT DO THAT!!!** I got the mother of ALL MIGRAINES. Yes, I did sleep, after hours of being sick, going hot/cold, & wanting to split my agonising head open with an axe!!!
GP prescribed CIRCADIN 2mg, no effect, upped it to 4mg no effect, & I was too frightened of it to go higher after the result with on my 10mg (which was likely something for horses anyway). But perhaps your GP would consider trying that, low dose, increase CAREFULLY???
Sorry can’t be of more help, I take prescribed Zopiclone 7 mg, but I leave a 2 night gap between pills, GP advised it to avoid dependency & the need for higher doses should my body became accustomed to it. Though I’m thinking of switching to alternate days, years of miserable nights lying awake, this isn’t getting better on it’s own!
So sorry you seem to be left to ‘just get on with it’, that sucks, & it also worries me as I get older myself!