Hi there,
I'm new to this forum so please bear with me!
Roughly 4 months ago I went to the doctor with unexplained and debilitating muscle and joint pains, tiredness and palpitations. I had some blood tests and she said that the pains and palpitations are unrelated but suggested the pains and tiredness could be fibromyalgia and prescribed tramadol. I started taking it straight away in desperation, one just when I needed it, then one everyday, then 2 a day and currently I take up to 5 a day, because if I don't I get a headache, sweat profusely and generally feel like death and just can't function. The trouble is that when I do take them they make me feel sick, I get regular headaches and I can't sleep. I've tried coming off them (gradually reducing dose) but I just can't. I honestly think they're just making me feel worse.
I also seem to be reacting extremely to tasks that wouldn't usually affect me. For example, the other day me and my partner were taking a fridge down the stairs. The next day my hands were swollen and bruised and my neck, shoulders and back were so painful I could hardly move. In comparison, my partner was fine. The fridge wasn't that heavy and I've done stuff like this a million and one times before without this reaction. This seems to happen a lot recently, like if I bash myself the area is bruised and swollen for days.
Anyway, I guess what I'm really asking for is advice. If anyone has any similar experiences or suggestions they'd be greatly welcomed.
I know I need to go back to the doctor but I know I'll just get the same old 'are you feeling anxious/it's all in your head/would you like a therapy referral' and that really puts me off.
Thanks very much.
Hi Hollie
Your symptoms of pain and fatigue, particularly worse after exertion could well be fibromyalgia but without more detailed analysis it could also be any number of medical conditions that really need to be ruled out by a specialist before arriving at a diagnosis for fibro.
The source of pain and fatigue particularly after exertion is not a mental health issue and it's certainly not a result of anxiety.
(Anxiety is however a common symptom of fibromyalgia).
The bruising and swelling however does not sound like fibromyalgia and I really would suggest you get a better full medical work up by your GP.
It seems odd that you would be prescribed tramadol for anything more than a couple of days without a proper assessment of your condition.
Tramadol is not the first resort in fibromyalgia pain and it may well be making you worse. If you are trying to come off but it's difficult then it may be that you have developed a dependency (Tramadol is notorious for that even just after a short time).
It certainly doesn't seem to be helping you and you really needed to try and wean off it. Your doctors should be able to help you with this because I think once you've had a work up you could be switched to another medication which would then make it easier to stop the tramadol rather than going to nothing.
So go back to the GP and demand a proper examination and be firm with him/ her & dont accept a simple anxiety conclusion.
Hi Hollie,
as UKSteve said, you do need to go back to your GP and get some help to come off those dreadful addictive Tramadol. I only tried them once, but after seeing huge spiders crawling the walls, didn't bother again!!
I would advise that you ask your GP to refer you to a Rheumatologist who is qualified in this field. They are very thorough and will do lots of tests, blood, X-ray's scans etc to rule out certain problems and then go on from there.
I hope you get some help soon. Big Gentle Hugs x
Hi UKSteve,
Thank you so much for your reply. And thank you for the reassurance it isn't anxiety. Obviously I know I don't feel anxious, but when I doctor pushes it down your throat so much you actually start to question it.
My doctor was so baffled by my symptoms that she had a discussion with other, more senior doctors in the surgery who also pushed the anxiety and a referral to the mental health team. They advised her not to give me medication and to send me on my way.
I will book an appointment with a doctor I haven't seen before and fingers crossed get to the bottom of it and most importantly get off the tramadol.
Thanks again!
Hi sukes,
Thanks for your reply!
Sounds like you had a horrendous reaction to tramadol, my worst nightmare!
Thanks for the suggestion of a Rheumatology referral, I will most definitely push for that. I think it will give me piece of mind seeing a specialist.
All the best,
Hollie
Hollie, primero, deja el Tramadol. Son muy adictivos y tienen más efectos secundarios de los que te hacen creer. Me los recetaron durante varios meses y aunque fueron excelentes para el dolor, casi destruyen mi matrimonio. Personalmente, tuve cambios de humor, pero en ocasiones quedé casi totalmente incapacitada para funcionar.
Ahora estoy tomando pastillas para los nervios llamadas Pregabalina, que han sido mejores para mí, sin embargo, ahora son menos efectivas y necesito complementarlas con Codeína, aunque encuentro que el Paracetamol es igual de bueno.
Esta enfermedad no es muy divertida, encuentro que el calor da algo de alivio temporal, duchas calientes y frías y descanso cuando sea necesario.
En cuanto a los síntomas, yo también sufro extremos de dolor por tareas simples, aunque el dolor parece retrasarse 24-48 horas antes de que el dolor desproporcionado se manifieste.
Habiendo tenido muchas citas con varios expertos en dolor, aún no se ha encontrado la razón o el método para manejar con éxito los síntomas, simplemente sigo pasando por la lucha diaria.
En una nota más positiva, aprendes técnicas para manejarlo.
¡Mucha suerte y que la fuerza te acompañe!
Hi bill38615
Thanks for your reply. Can I ask how you managed to get off the tramadol? I'll ask my doc about pregablin when I next go.
I've recently finished my degree and start a new job next week so I'm hoping getting back into a normal routine will help.
Thanks for the reassurance!
Best wishes.
Hollie, Tramadol fue un demonio para dejar y para ser honesto aún guardo un paquete escondido en mi oficina para emergencias. Mi esposa fue genial y se encargó de reducir mi dosis diaria, pero lentamente, mientras aumentaba mi otro alivio del dolor como Codeína, Amatriptalina, Naproxeno, etc. Al dejarlo, tuve temblores, dolores de cabeza y continué con cambios de humor. Ahora estoy mejor que eso, pero lejos de estar curado. Solo por el amor de mi esposa y su determinación de sacarme del Tramadol, de lo contrario probablemente aún lo estaría usando. No me malinterpreten, como alivio del dolor no hay nada mejor, pero solo para los peores momentos.
¡Buena suerte en el nuevo trabajo, espero que las cosas se calmen. Espero con interés saber cómo te va.
Sé fuerte y recuerda que eres el único que sabe cómo te sientes, no te dejes presionar para asumir demasiado y date tiempo para descansar.
Bill