Valganciclovir

Hi folks

Has anybody tried Valganciclovir to treat CFS/ME ?

( I have had HHV6 and it seems some research studies indicate that the drug is beneficial for treating post viral fatigue)

Thanks

Simon

Hallo, Simon. Der Arzt, den du siehst, muss wirklich Ahnung haben, um dieses Medikament zu verschreiben. Dr. Jose Montoya ist ein sehr angesehener ME/CFS-Spezialist/Forscher an der Stanford, hier in den USA. Er verwendet oft dieses Medikament (auch bekannt als Valcyte), das er sagt, kann einer bestimmten Untergruppe von Patienten helfen. Viel Glück mit der Behandlung.

Hi Jackie and a happy x-mas to you. I must say that I never cease to wonder how you keep up to date with the latest treatments and your brain always seem to be so clear. I struggle deseprately with an unclear  brain & get so tired when I try to focus on anykind of dense text.  well done you. 

Hallo, Caitlin. Frohe Weihnachten auch an dich. Ich war früher in einem anderen Leben vor dieser Krankheit Redakteurin. Aber ME/CFS hat definitiv die Verkabelung in meinem Gehirn durcheinandergebracht. Wenn ich etwas poste, lese ich es mehrmals auf Fehler hin. Ich vertausche ständig Buchstaben, verwechsle Wörter, mache Tippfehler. Was für ein Chaos! Ich versuche einfach, mir keine Sorgen zu machen und weiterzugehen.

Hallo Simon, ein frohes neues Jahr und ein gesünderes.

Mein Hausarzt sagte mir vor einigen Wochen, dass ein Patient von ihm dieses

Medikament mit bemerkenswerter Wirkung auf die Symptome seiner M.E. versucht hatte.

Der Hausarzt war wirklich begeistert. Allerdings musste der Patient es im Internet kaufen, da die Gesundheitsbehörden im UK es nicht auf der NHS für die Behandlung von M.E.-Patienten verschreiben.

Es ist jedoch quite teuer zu kaufen.

Dieser Patient war zuvor mit Pfeiffer-Drüsenfieber diagnostiziert worden

zum Ausbruch der M.E. Ich habe dazu etwas recherchiert und es scheint

aus Studien, dass dieses Medikament gut bei Patienten wirkt, die Blut

Antikörper aufweisen, nachdem sie Pfeiffer-Drüsenfieber hatten, aber nicht bei anderen viralen Fällen

die mit dem Ausbruch von M.E. oder CFS verbunden sind. Ich denke jedoch, dass es für

HHV6-Herpes-Virus vorteilhaft wäre.

Falls Sie es können, könnte es sich lohnen, es zu versuchen.

Die besten Wünsche für Sie für 2017

Jenny

thanks Jenny for you comments , Happy new year !

My immunologist advised against it , saying it can cause liver toxicity 

I am on valocyclovir meanwhile.. I will ask him again next time i meet him

Best wishes

Simon

Hi Simonkm1, When I was first diagonsed with CFS 25 years ago, the infectious disease doctor said that HHV6 was causing many of my symptoms, and so he treated me with Acyclovir-I'm assuming that is the same thing as Valgancliclovir.

 It didn't help much, but I would try it. There are several studies that have concluded that antivirals are helpful. Good luck!

Thanks KPD

I will look it up,

What did help you? Are you on any other medicine? ( if i may ask)

Regards

Simon

Hi Simonkm1,

The things that have helped me are the following:

1. Better quality sleep-I take a low dosage of Doxepin (an anti-depressant) at bedtime. This drug is now being used to help improve sleep. Also, Xanax helps give me a bit of a boost and helps with anxiety. As you probably know, stress and anxiety are so bad for people who have ME/CFS.

2. Light to moderate aerobic exercise-like jogging or walking fast on a treadmill for 20-25 minutes. It helps with the positive attitude. That's next on the list....

3. A positive attitude-meaning very little stress in my life (this isn't always easy)

I have many ups and downs, and there are times in the day where I feel better than others. Mornings are the worst! Also, the winter months are very difficult for me. I want to hibernate even when it is not cold outside.

 

I'm thinking of asking my internist to put me back on an antiviral medicine again. Anyway, good luck. Hope the anti-viral medication helps you :-)

Hi Simon, 

I just re-read your post and noticed that the drug your doctor wants to try is different from the drug my doctor had prescribed. I was prescribed Valtrex and Zovirax at the time. These are both anti-viral medications used to treat Herpes, but I believe they are different from the one your doctor wants to try. I just wanted to clarify that. Hope it helps. Please keep us posted. 

Hi - I know this is an old post …but any idea how / where they managed to source the ValGan?