I posted on here a few weeks ago about a black/gray spot I kept seeing after the retinal tear laser surgery. I saw on the doctor's notes it was the photocoagulation. I also saw that I have lattice degeneration which I'm assuming contributed to the tear. I am not seeing the black spot so much anymore, unless I blink or change rooms with different lightings, but now in its place I am constantly seeing a flashing light that looks white especially in dim lighting. It extends to the side of my eye as well, which I'm assuming is from where the laser was also done. I went to the retinal specialist and said everything looked fine and this could be a side effect of the laser and it generally goes away within a couple months. I'm just wondering if anyone else has experienced this with the laser and if it went away? this has been very disorienting for me and I have been fearing losing my peripheral vision. I'm not sure if I am actually losing peripheral vision or if it just feels that way since I have this constant flickering now on the side. I know it's better to be safe than sorry, but a part of me wishes I never did this laser bc its been causing so many issues for me and supposedly the tear had scar tissue from healing itself. If anyone has had any experience with this and would like to share I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.
Hallo Rose,
Ich denke, die meisten Menschen haben nach einer Laserphotokoagulation noch einige Nachwirkungen. Ich habe eine Menge Flimmerlichter zurückbehalten. Ich bereue es nicht, es gemacht zu haben, denn Ihre andere Option wäre gewesen, das Risiko eines vollständigen Netzhautabhebungs einzugehen und das Sehvermögen im Auge zu verlieren. Ich hatte am Tag des Risses ein Flackern am Rand, wusste aber nicht, was es war. Aber wie gesagt, ich glaube, die meisten Menschen haben nach der Operation etwas. Zögern Sie nicht, eine zweite Meinung einzuholen, wenn es Ihnen Ruhe gibt, Rose.
Hi Rose,
I know this is an old thread, but just wanted to say that I'm experiencing the same exact thing! The opthalmologist told me it's not unusual because of the laser scarring and that it may decrease over time or not, but regardless it is safe. I totally feel your frustration as I went into this as more of a preventative procedure for a small hole that wasn't giving me any issues and now I'm still occasionaly seeing that weird spot (almost like a gray/white glimmer) in certain lighting far off in my perpheral vision.
I know this is better than the alternative, but it's so frustrating! Did yours ever decrease? I had my procedure done about 2 weeks ago and it seems slightly smaller (maybe?), but just trying not to obsess over it so much.
Best wishes!!
Sorry allison! Thanks for your reply. I hadn't checked on the board ! I am still experiencing this annoying phenomenon but overall it has slightly improved since it started. It's hard to tell sometimes though bc it depends on the lighting. I am frustrated I was not explained of this common side effect. I'm frustrated too bc mine was an old tear that already had scar tissue but she said since I'm young it was possible it could detach. I know it's better than losing vision although I feel like the laser did give me a blind spot but still frustrating. I can't read as fast bc it's distracting and I'm always having to cover that part of my vision when reading. I'm hoping it will continue to improve for me. On some posts it said it could take a year to heal fully so I'm hoping that's the case. I hope it has got better for you as well !
Thanks TripAdvisor. I've gone back multiple times since and I'm pretty sure it's scarring from the laser causing an altered function in the light receptors of retina
Hallo Rose und Allison,
ich wollte mal nachfragen, wie es euch beiden bei der Genesung geht? Ich hatte vor etwa 2-3 Wochen einen Laser-Eingriff in meinem linken Auge, nachdem ich ein paar Tränen hatte. Zunächst schien alles in Ordnung zu sein, aber mittlerweile sehe ich wieder mehr Fliegen in diesem Auge als zuvor und habe sogar gelegentlich Lichtblitze. Es ist ärgerlich, aber im Moment noch behandelbar. Ich hoffe, dass sich die Situation verbessert und nicht verschlechtert. Ich frage mich, ob bei euch beiden die vermehrten Fliegen oder Lichtblitze irgendwann verschwunden sind. Ich habe nächste Woche einen Follow-up-Termin bei meinem Augenarzt, um zu sehen, wie die Heilung voranschreitet.
Hello, everyone. I am so glad that I have found this thread! Almost 3 weeks ago, I had laser surgery for a hole in my retina due to lattice degeration. I started off with a few floaters, went to the opthalmologist but he didn't see anything at that time (that was a Friday), then over the weekend had a few flashes and so I went back in on Tuesday and he found the lattice and referred me to a vitreoretinal specialist. The retinal specialist said that I was at risk for a retinal detachment and ended up doing laser on my left eye that same day. After surgery , I had a miriad of new symptoms, lots of new flashes, some new floaters, at one point it looked like someone was shining a red light on my retina when my eye was closed, small black flashing dots that would come and go, black rain especially when my eye was closed, and lightning strikes. Also, like some of you have described, the day after I noticed 4 black circular "holes" in my vision, and a blurry spot in my peripheral vision by my nose. I went back the next day and she told me that everything was looking ok. I assume it is where she lasered. Currently, I am dealing with the static electricity/flashing in my left eye from about 12 o'clock to 6 o'clock from my perspective which is more noticable in dim light/darkness/when my eye is closed. The static gets worse when I'm in bright light for some time and calms down after I'm in the dark or sleep but comes right back when I'm in light. I also get a flash here and there close to my nose that is noticable in any light, and infrequent small black dot flashes. I've also been dealing with terrible dry eye in my left eye, which I think has led to swelling of my eyelid, pain, and twitching of my face around my eye. My eye is slightly light sensitive and blurry which I think is from the dryness. The retina specialist also found lattice in my right eye (less than my left) and is recommending I have it lasered once my left eye is not symptomatic. This has all been so terrifying and I have been an anxious mess since it started. Crying at the drop of a hat. I'm a nurse and worrying about myself while at work is just adding to my stress. But I have to find a way to power on because I have 2 kids (1 and 7 years old) that depend on me. I am only 34 years old and this has thrown me for a loop especially because my vision has always been good, I just need a slight prescription for distance. My fiance says that I shouldn't worry so much because each time I've gone to the doctor since the laser, she's said that it looks stable (4 times so far in a little over 2 weeks, I've gone back for every change worrying that the worst was happening). It's nice to know that I'm not alone. I am so thankful to have found this thread and know that other people have had similar symptoms since my doctor didn't explain these things as potential side effects or occurrences and when I go back she says it is stable but it doesn't feel that way.
How are you doing now? Did your flashes or floaters improve? How long did it take if they did get better? Did you experience any tiny blinking lights, almost like pieces of glitter that come and go?
Hi Tiffany! I’m sorry to hear all the side effects you have been having from the laser. I have to be honest sometimes I regret doing the laser bc the static/strobe light effect has still not gone away even though it is slightly better. I understand where you are coming from. From using Flonase I now also have minor subcapsular cataracts and I think it caused my retinal tear as well. I never had eye problems before this. Only being myopic and I’m only 25 so it’s definitely been frustrating for me too. The flickering/strobe light has gotten a little better but it’s still there and bothers me everyday. I wish they would have told me about these side effects
That’s good news that the doctor says things are stable. I don’t feel like my eyes are the same anymore but luckily everything has been okay with my eyes since
Hi! My floaters have never really went away but they don’t bother me. It’s the static I have from the laser 24/7 that bothers me most. I still get the flashes here and there but they are very tiny. Everything has been good when I went back to the retina specialist and eye doctor so I’m hoping no new problems
I agree. My eye does not feel the same. The static/strobe is annoying and makes me worry because it draws my attention. It is sometimes hard not to pay so much attention to it. The Blinky lights across my field of vision are very distracting because they come and go but are more noticable in bright light. Does your static get better after being in the dark a while? I am going for a second opinion tomorrow. It's terrible that Flonase has resulted in cataracts, I wasn't aware of that side effect. I am not myopic but need a small prescription for distance. It is hard to be so young as we are with these issues, none of my friends can relate.
Allison, wie geht es dir jetzt?
Wie war Ihre zweite Meinung? Wie geht es Ihnen jetzt?
Hallo Rose! Wenn du sagst, dass dein Flackern etwas besser geworden ist, wie genau meinst du das? Mein Flackern/Flimmern befindet sich in der oberen rechten Ecke meines Auges. Ich sehe es hauptsächlich, wenn ich nach unten schaue oder mich konzentrieren möchte. Ich bin aktuell in der siebten Woche nach der Laserbehandlung, und das Flackern/Flimmern war in der letzten Woche wirklich schlimm. Ich hoffe, dass es nicht weiter schlechter wird. Wenn ich von draußen nach innen komme, scheint es am schlimmsten zu sein. Irgendwann beruhigt es sich wieder. Jegliche Ratschläge, wie ich damit umgehen kann, wären großartig. Vielen Dank.
It used to be more of a white light in the beginning and now it’s more of a clear flickering. It also doesn’t feel like it takes up as much of my peripheral. It’s honestly been really hard to cope with. I’ve been having really bad sinus pressure so I think everything going on with that two intensifies the problem more. I just keep hoping that it will get better to the point I don’t notice it anymore. That’s kind of the only thing that helps me
Hi All,
it is good to share info. I had laser treatment to fix a tear in my retina and having the same symptoms of shimmering/flickering light where the laser is done . It is scary and happened after 3 weeks after treatment. I don't know if it will go away by itself with time can you please advice ,,,,,,
cheers
ali
Hi Rose, i feel identify with your case, i had my last surgery 1 month ago and i was to worried about this symtoms, you are the first patient who post this kind of advances. Can you relate me how many percent your flashes decreased since your surgery. and how long ago was was that? That could help me to know the phases of this side effects.
I really appreciate your help, believe me, you are helping to a lot of patients with this symtoms.
Hello Jes2000; I would like to ask you if you have improved lately; I have the same symptoms and my laser surgery was a month ago. Thank you.
My flickering had gotten better with time but unfortunately it is still not gone